Turtles All The Way Down - John Green: Review

I am a massive John Green fan, so when I heard that he was publishing a new book this year I was super excited to get my hands on it. My mum recently gave it to me as an early birthday present and I  read the whole book in almost a single day. It was such a page turner and I enjoyed the book thoroughly, so I thought I'd review it for the blog.

One of the things I love about John Green is how unique his characters always are. Although the characters in this book aren't quite as quirky as usual, Aza who narrates the story suffers from anxiety so the book gives a very unusual perspective on life. Her friends still have very distinct personalities but are more 'normal' than I expected.

On top of the cool characters, this book deals with some important themes such as death, mental health and friendship. This isn't uncommon for John's books, but the particular emphasis on anxiety makes it a great read for anyone who suffers from mental health problems (or knows someone who does) because he explains it in a way that is easy to understand or relate to.

There are also always some interesting philosophical concepts in John Green's writing, and this one was no different. Not to give any spoilers, but one in particular gives the book it's title. There's also a lot of information about disease because of the type of anxiety that Aza suffers from, which is very fun to read about and also some talk about a species called a Tuatara.

I would recommend this book to John Green fans or anyone who is effected by anxiety. It is uplifting and informative and I loved it.

Disclaimer: this is not an ad. I have not received any goods or services for writing this review.


Share:

0 comments