DepSoc Reviews: 2017



As is becoming customary, it is time for our annual digest of the year; this year made even more special due to the fact that we are now, of course, a trio, as opposed to last year's 'Amber and Klar review'. 2017 has been an awful year for many, and I am no exception to that, but we thought it would be nice to take a look at some of the things that have made it fab, and take you, dear reader, along on our journey in the way that DepSoc is supposed to!


1. Favourite meme


Amber: Salt bae for sure, a classic but since I often feel petty inside, I can identify on a lot of levels.



Klara: Spongebob TaLKinG LiKe THiS.
Ana: All of the classical art memes.

2. Favourite purchase


Amber: My holiday to Greece (read about it here) and countless train tickets to London - 2017 has really been a year of travel for me.

Klara: MacBook Pro - so easy to use and super useful for uni.

Ana: My holiday across Europe (read here): Riga, Berlin, Milan and The Ordinary's skincare products. I've really enjoyed both.


3. Favourite musical discovery


Amber: Christine and the Queens, a fab French band, or Rat Boy, who I had heard in passing, but really enjoyed at Reading.

Klara: Two Door Cinema Club - I'd heard of them before but only really got into them after Reading

Ana: Dua Lipa

4. Song of the Year


Amber: 'Want You Back', Haim 
I have seen this live and it was a slightly harder guitar line that they used, and I cried like a little baby.

Klara: According to Spotify, it was 'Fluorescent Adolescent' by the Arctic Monkeys

Ana: 'New Rules' by Dua Lipa
I find it very empowering and perfect for days when things aren't going so well, or I need a little bit more confidence in myself.


5. Album of the Year


Amber: 'Relaxer' by Alt-J had so many fantastically creative songs on, as well as setting them apart from the indie crowd, or Harry Styles' debut, which had some real crackers on.

Klara: 'Divide' by Ed Sheeran, hands down

Ana: 'Culture' by Migos for sure

6. Film of 2017


Amber: Paddington 2... so heartwarming, so amazing, so much better than the absolute rubbish that is Pitch Perfect 3. For a serious film though, I'd highly recommend watching Okja. 

Klara: I know it wasn't released this year, but Love Actually has made me exceptionally happy this month, so it has to be that.

Ana: Although they were released a long time ago, both of the Pink Panther movies have made me laugh a lot recently so I'll go with that.


7. Book of 2017


Amber: I think '1984' by Orwell has really epitomised 2017 for everyone, from fake news to creepy Big Brother/AI allusions. Creepy but a fab read.

Klara: 'The Chemist' by Stephanie Meyer: feel-good romance with an edge of suspense.

Ana: 'The Princess Saves Herself in This One' by Amanda Lovelace (read my review here)


8. TV Show 


Amber: Orange is the New Black Season 5 - the most interesting and dramatic series thus far and I'm so intrigued as to what could possibly happen next. Jane the Virgin and Stranger Things are also highly, highly commended.

Klara: Riverdale because I have been looking forward to it all week every week.

Ana: I don't watch too many TV shows but Love Island made me laugh a lot, even if I'm not the biggest fan of reality TV.


9. What are we most grateful for?


Amber: My health following glandular fever.

Klara: My grandparents, who have propped me up emotionally and financially this year.

Ana: The experiences and emotions I've had throughout the year, which made 2017 a lot better for me.


10. Biggest disappointment/setback of 2017


Amber: Losing some relationships this year, and coming to the sad realisation as a result that some people will not change, no matter what they say.

Klara: Not getting the A levels I had hoped for.

Ana: Fatigue during the exam season.

11. Worst political moment of 2017


Amber: Trump allowing racism, homophobia, transphobia and sexism to become 'normal' again through his highly aggressive policy towards certain groups in society.

Klara: Theresa May in general because I hate her.

Ana: The aftermath of the US General Election was tragique.

12. 2017 Relationship Status


Amber: Messed around by a bad egg, then single

Klara: Taken

Ana: Taken


13. Makeup Product of 2017


Amber: The Benefit 'They're Real' Lipsticks - a beautiful formula and combine a lipliner and a lipstick into one.

Klara: L'Oreal's False Lash Superstar X Fiber Mascara - no clumps but really long black eyelashes.

Ana: Maybelline Great Lash Mascara - looks very natural and doesn't feel heavy on my eyes.

14. Proudest moment of 2017


Amber: Exam results.

Klara: Getting a first on my first essay at uni.

Ana: Reaching the semi final of my first university debating competition.


15. Hopes for 2018


Amber: Pass my driving test. And blog more!

Klara: At this stage, I'm just hoping I'll survive it lmao.

Ana: Travel more.

Having joined the blog this year, I have been able to invest more time into writing and expressing myself. It has been the perfect opportunity for me to document my adventures, life lessons, and anything else that I have been wanting to share for a while.

I think it is safe to say that we all hope to continue this blog and hopefully increase our reader numbers and instagram followers. I know I personally aim to write posts more often and look forward to seeing ourselves and our blog grow. Happy new year everyone!



Share:

0 comments