Nurse Klar


As someone who is sick A LOT, I have gathered a lot of tips for getting better as quickly as possible. With cold and flu season just around the corner I thought it would be a good time to blog about them.

  • In German there's a phrase that translates as 'sleep is the best medicine'. My mother always says this to me when she's trying to convince me to get an early night. Naps can be good when recovering from some diseases but others (such as glandular fever) can be made worse from them so be careful with that one.
  • Get plenty of rest! This may seem obvious, but the amount of times I've pushed myself into going back to school/sports/social life too soon and made myself ill again is ridiculous.
  • Drink loadsssssssss. The more you drink the quicker toxins get washed out of your body. Even if you're not thirsty, drink drink drink.
  • Get fresh air. Even a short walk will make you feel infinitely better. Don't push yourself though, go slow.
  • Eat soup, especially chicken. Something about protein? I don't know but it tastes good so I don't question it.
  • Warm milk with manuka honey is apparently scientifically proven to cure sore throats, so mum force feeds it to me whenever I have a cold.
  • Watch feel good tv/movies. Read stupid happy romance books. Eat cake. Paint a picture. Anything that makes you happy makes you healthy and that's important.
  • Lemsip do tablets which are just as effective as the hot water mix stuff and taste way less gross, which is something I didn't know until this year.
  • If you are prescribed antibiotics, it is absolutely necessary that you finish the course. Your doctor will tell you this anyway, but it's very important.
  • If you are sick enough to be stuck at home for more than 3 days, see a doctor. They will probably be more use than yet another paracetamol.
  • BLANKETS AND JUMPERS! Cosy and practical, it's a win win.
  • Lay a cool, damp cloth on your forehead to help a fever.
  • To ease a headache, massage your temples or pinch the bridge of your nose. 
  • You can take paracetamol and ibuprofen together!!! This is good if you are in pain and have swelling, as paracetamol is a more effective pain killer but ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory.
  • Have good friends/family/boyfriends (or if you're lucky like me all three) who will look after you.
  • This isn't strictly speaking for illness, but never underestimate the power of chocolate for making you feel better on your period.
  • Finally, drink tea. Very British, but it helps.

Share:

0 comments